Abdominal / Hara massage focuses on massaging, stimulating and activating the abdominal organs and also working on deep muscles of the body through reflex points. This particular technique is good for lower back pain and also to support digestion.
Some techniques that you can expect to experience during an Abdominal / Hara Massage session include:
- Chi Nei Tsang techniques
- Chi Nei Tsang literally means “working the energy of the internal organs” or “internal organs chi transformation.” CNT uses all the principles of Kung-Fu and Tai Chi Chuan known as Chi-Kung — therefore, CNT is a form of “applied Chi Kung.”
- Swedish Massage techniques such as efflerage, petrissage and tapotement
- Swedish massage, also referred to as “classic massage” uses five styles of long, flowing strokes to massage. The five basic strokes are effleurage (sliding or gliding), petrissage (kneading), tapotement (rhythmic tapping), friction (cross fiber) and vibration/shaking. Swedish massage has shown to be helpful in reducing pain and increasing circulation.
- Deep tissue manipulation
- Designed to relieve severe tension in the muscle and the connective tissue or fascia. Deep tissue techniques focuses on the muscles located below the surface of the top muscles. It is excellent for individuals who experience consistent pain, are involved in heavy physical activity (such as athletes), and clients who have sustained physical injury.
- Shiatsu pressure point work
- Shiatsu is a Japanese therapy that uses pressure applied with thumbs, fingers and palms to the same energy meridians as acupressure and incorporates stretching. It also uses techniques such as rolling, brushing, vibrating and grasping.
- Mobilisations of the hip joints
- Joint mobilisation is a type of passive movement of a skeletal joint. It is usually aimed at a ‘target’ synovial joint with the aim of achieving a therapeutic effect.
- Energy holds
- Also called baking — energy holds allow subtle energy to flow and vitalise the organs and deep muscles.
- Rocking and Vibrations
- Rocking and vibrations allow the muscles to release tension on a deep level.
Some Benefits of Hara Massage
- Promotes Digestion
- Relieves chronic indigestion or heartburn
- Relieves the discomfort of gas, bloating and abdominal “knots”
- Stimulates bowel movements (due to stress, dietary issues, medication and other health issues)
- Gastro Esophogeal Reflux (GERD)
- Soothes the nervous system
- Correction of prolapsed, fallen or tilted uterus or bladder
- Decreases colic in infants
- Releases inner emotions carried in the core
- Painful or irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation
- Bladder or yeast infections
- Miscarriages, difficult pregnancies
- Peri menopause, menopausal symptoms
- PMS/Depression with menstruation
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibroids
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Enhances Pregnancy, aids in labour and birthing
- Relieves abdominal trauma (due to mechanical or sexual trauma, chronic inflammatory and pain conditions.
- Pelvic congestion, pain
- Digestive Disorders
- Low energy
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Chronic constipation
- Low Back pain
- Restricted breathing due to tension
- Decreases adhesions due to surgeries or C-Section
Download a comprehensive price list.
Schedule an appointment
Currently South Africa is in a 21 day lockdown that may be extended to three months. In these uncertain times I will continue to support my clients, but all work will have to be online via Zoom.
Precautions and Contra-Indications
There are certain conditions where application of abdominal massage is either contraindicated or require modification.
- IUD (intra-uterine device for contraception) is present
- Immediately after abdominal surgery
- Active infection or cancer present in pelvic area, or while undergoing chemotherapy
- During the first trimester (19 weeks) of pregnancy
- Hiatal Hernia (gentle massage required)
- Active and acute infection
- Abdominal Aneurysm
- Diastasis Rectus (A condition in which the large abdominal muscles separate)
- Pessary for uterine prolapse (remove prior to your session)
- Any serious health condition that causes you concern
A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses. ~ HIPPOCRATES